[Buddha-l] no one ever gets rid of all their neuroses

Bruce Burrill brburl at mailbag.com
Thu Jan 12 00:08:41 MST 2006

At 06:00 PM 1/11/2006, Richard P. Hayes wrote:
>Jack Kornfield raised many a Buddhist eyebrow when he said (agreeing
>with Jung) that no one ever gets rid of all their neuroses; at best, one
>learns to manage most of them them most of the time. I heard Buddhists
>saying that at the moment Kornfield said that, he stopped being a
>Buddhist, as if that were some kind of tragedy.

Many Buddhist -- in the West -- seem to labor under the
illusion/delusion that awakening will bring a complete reformation of
the person into a perfect, flawless being, and that assumption then
allows for some "awakened" individuals whose "problems" are
unresolved to claim that their problems as they express them are
expressions of the awakened mind. The Geshe Michael Roach/Christie
McNally road show seems to be the latest in a string of
"heavy-individuals" illustrating this point.

This  letter to Geshe Michael Roach by Lama Zopa Rinpoche (Spritual
Director of the FPMT) cracked me up. What is he telling Geshe Roach
to do with his vajra?

== " ....If your conduct will be the way you explained in the letter
then it will not be normal from the monasteries point of view or
according to the monasteries point of view.

Where the need is more important than what is to abandoned (gagcha le
skyang gopa chewa) along with that one should be able to perform
other miracle powers, show control or freedom like Milarepa or like
any of those yogi's such as Dukpa Kunleg , then in this way people
can see the realizations and power and so devotion grows in them.

Even they have mistaken appearance, people see their special
qualities of showing control and high realizations, in this way
seeing the mistakes does not destroy peoples faith and instead they
see only qualities.

By showing miracle powers then other people can generate devotion and
non heresy by seeing the miracle power, something external, then they
can have faith in high realizations seeing that you have control and
are free and whatever conduct you do does not have the stain of samsara.

If one performs those behaviors to develop people's devotion then it
is not just an ordinary miracle that is needed, one needs to do a
special kind of miracle, for example the 6th Dalai Lama pee-ed from
the top of the Potala and just before the urine hit the ground he
drew it back again inside his vajra. Also there is the story of the

This is just my suggestion I don't know what other Lama's and Guru's
will advise."  ==

But outside of teachers acting badly with their vajras and yonis,
many years ago I gave a fellow that I knew an article written by
Kapleau Roshi concerning the quirks of personality of Zen teachers he
knew or knew about. This was so disheartening to my friend that he
stopped his practice, though he did stay with his psychiatrist.

I have meet meditation practitioners who felt that they could and
should -- essentially -- turn off/cut off their emotions. They did
not need to feel grief at the death of their mother or whomever, and
they considered this an advanced expression of their practice, and
nothing I could say would change their minds. I have been at this for
close to forty years, and when my mother, who is 88, dies, I'll be a
wreck. Why would it or should it be otherwise? But we want
protection, shielding from the pain life gives us, and hope that our
religion has the perfect answer, the perfect shield, and we get
ourselves into all sorts of goofy-assed nonsense because of that.