[Buddha-l] it's not about belief -= science & Christian religion

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 6 11:43:46 MST 2006

I would like to make two observations.
(1) It is my understanding that modern science is founded upon
empiricism, and perhaps the strong empiricism of David Hume; if so,
there wasn't anything quite like our idea of science prior to the
development of empiricism as a philosophical (not Protestant)
methodology in the 1700s (although it has been argued that the 'Axial
Age' begins with a turning away from tradition and supernatural
explanations to natural explanations).

(2) Modern science is concerned with finding out what is true and NOT
assuming that we already know what is true.
During the middle ages, what passed for science was studying nature to
determine what lesson god was teaching us.
When one already KNOWS the answer (because it is in god's holy book),
then one examines the world for observations which confirm and reinforce
one's knowledge (thus some Christians examine the world for evidence
that the world is 6,000 years old; scientists examine the world to
determine its age WITHOUT thinking that they know the answer in advance
-- if the world turns out to be 6,000 years old based on observation,
fine; if it turns out to be 4.5 billion years old, fine).
Ideally, modern science seeks DISsconfirming instances for each theory;
Christian "science" looks only for what confirms the answers which are
already known in advance of research.
Bob Zeuschner
Dept. of Philosophy