[Buddha-l] Dependent arising variants

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 10:24:27 MST 2006

Lance,

> This only proves that the Buddha (or his disciples etc.) liked to
> vary the explanations of things in many different ways. And  we
> already know that from many other examples.

This is not unreasonable, but also seems to involve assumptions.  The
problem is that we tend to take our own assumptions for granted and discern
assumptions in the views of others when they differ from our own.

> If you start with the assumption that the shorter versions are more
> primitive

As you well know, I am not the only one to have that view by a long chalk.
I personally do not find such a assumption to be unreasonable as the basis
of a working hypothesis -- I would be quite happy to alter my assumptions if
they could be disproved.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge