[Buddha-l] Dependent arising variants

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 2 07:24:28 MST 2006

Stephen,

This only proves that the Buddha (or his disciples etc.) liked to
vary the explanations of things in many different ways. And  we
already know that from many other examples.

If you start with the assumption that the shorter versions are more
primitive or earlier, you are bound to end up with the result that
you have an evolution from an earlier simpler version to a more
complex one. But this proves nothing. It is built into the
assumptions you start with.

Lance