[Buddha-l] Dependent arising variants

Dan Lusthaus dlusthau at mailer.fsu.edu
Wed Feb 1 11:05:08 MST 2006

> The last I heard, the human population of the world was over
> 6,000,000,000. Every one of them was alive. So that's a pretty strong
> counter-example to the claim that everyone who is born dies.

Of course you are joking, Richard, since -- as Jim Morrison stated so
articulately -- 5 to 1, baby, 1 in 5, no one here gets out alive. BTW, he's
been dead for awhile.

One explanation for human population explosion is that extinct species are
apparently taking rebirth in human form these days -- but given the numbers,
the preta, deva, asura, and hell realms as well must be emptying out and
congregating in the human-loka.

Dan Lusthaus