[Buddha-l] Ven Maha Kassapa and the flower

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Dec 17 10:26:43 MST 2006

There's a story I read somewhere (might be in one of Thich Nhat Hanh's
books) of someone asking the Buddha a question. The Buddha plucks a flower
and holds it up. Mahakassapa smiles, and the Buddha says words to the effect
that MK understood the point. I've probably garbled this. But I can't find
this story in accesstoinsight.org in anything under Kassapa.
Can someone tell me if this story is part of the Mahayana literature or is
in the Pali literature, and where to find it?
Thanks,
Joanna