[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada #3a

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Sat Dec 2 10:53:38 MST 2006

Dear Dan et al,

I am not sure if Al is enjoying this, but I have an amendment to my previous
posting.
I had there:
> If it were the same, it would be impermanent and [prone to] suffering, but
> if it were different, it would be permanent and yet [prone to] suffering.
To bring this in line with parallel passages, in the YBS for example, I
think that the last clause should be amended to "it would be permanent and
*not* suffering".  The existing "wei" in the text is sufficiently similar to
"bu" to surmise a scribal error.

Also, I am not entirely happy with my (or Dan's rendering either) of:
> for that would utterly eradicate painful, pleasant and neutral qualities
> in the past and the future.
It might need a re-think :(

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge