[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada #3a

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Fri Dec 1 14:44:30 MST 2006

Dear Dan et al,

Here is my stab at the first part of T1505, with notes explaining some of my
decisions.  The text is quite challenging so it is inevitable that different
translators will come up with different renderings.  But perhaps somewhere
along the line, somebody will hit on the right interpretation :)

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge

T 1505
DL:  Why is it not said?  A: The not-said: [This refers to what is] not said
in the heuristics for
appropriation, metaphorical device, and cessation. (sutra)
SH: What is the avaktavya-[pudgala] ?   It is the avaktavya-[pudgala] with
reference to the
prajñaptis concerning appropriation, upaaya (?) and cessation.
NOTES:  *  Delete the reduplicated "bu shuo".  *  Despite Dan's valiant
effort, I think that "upaaya" here is unsatisfactory.  I have no idea what
"fangbian" is meant to translate, but is should be something connected with
the perceived continuity of an individual from the past into the future.
The short version has "prajñapti concerning the past" and elsewhere in this
Sammitiya material we find some versions that seems to correspond to
"sa.mkraanti-prajñapti".  Another, non-Buddhist, meaning in Chinese is
"occasion" or "opportunity", which might perhaps fit.  One could also
feasibly extract the idea of "past and future" from the two characters,
which would also fit the (presumed) intended meaning.  Or else, I wonder, if
the original of this text was in some Prakrit, whether the intended term was
misread.  *  The use here of "jiao-shou" for prajñapti is probably based on
a non-technical understanding of the verb from shich it is derived.  I
personally would not read anything significant into this -- "heuristic" is
interesting, but it seems a bit OTT to me.

DL:  Those are the heuristics for appropriation, heuristics by metaphorical
device, and the
heuristics for cessation. This means that whoever is stupid concerning these
'not saids' lacks insight.
SH:  These are the prajñaptis of appropriation,the prajñaptis concerning
upaaya and the prajñaptis concerning cessation.  It is said that confusion
about these is ignorance (ajñana) concerning the avaktavya-[pudgala].

DL:  The heuristics for appropriation [involves] using the name "a
living-one".  [The idea] that the presently appropriated skandhas, dhatus,
and ayatanas are appropriated by an inner living-one is a heuristic. This
means that [when one talks about the] present appropriation of an inner
living-one appropriating dharmas due to sa.mskaras and the fetters
(sa.myojana), these are heuristics for appropriation. The dharmas that the
living-one heuristically appropriates are not the same as the living-one.
It's not as if one seeks to get the jiva and the body to combine [into a
single thing]. If they are the same, then [the jiva would be] impermanent
and [prone to] suffering; if they are different, then [the jiva] would be
permanent [and yet] deemed as [prone to] suffering [which is absurd, since
"what is impermanent is suffering"].
SH: The prajñapti concerning appropriation applies the name "jiiva" to the
skandhas, dhaatus,
and aayatanas.  It is a jiiva with respect to present appropriation that is
the prajñapti of appropriation.  That is to say, it is the jiiva and dharmas
that are appropriated with respect to
present appropriation due to the sa.mskaaras and sa.myojanas.  The prajñapti
of appropriation
[refers to] neither past or future dharmas and jiiva.  The jiiva is not the
same [as the appropriated skandhas, dhaatus, and aayatanas].  The jiiva and
the body are not combined in the slightest.  If it were the same, it would
be impermanent and [prone to] suffering, but if it were different, it would
be permanent and yet [prone to] suffering.
NOTES:  *  I have re-arranged the punctuation here, as reflected by my
translation. *  I insert an extra "shou" before "ming" in accordance with
the note in T.  *  I read "nei" as a non-standard way of translating a
locative, rather than its full value as "internal / within". *  I suggest
that characters "shou" and "shi" should be reversed.  Thwe compound "ruogan"
does not mean "if", but "somewhat, partially".   As "yi ruogan", which
occurs a couple of times later, I assume it is likely to stand for
"ekaanta".

DL:  If it is permanent, one wouldn't [need to] practice brahmacarya [a
religious life]. If it is not permanent, one would be unsuited for the
brahmacarya fruit. For that which is impermanent, receiving and giving would
be ineffective. Ineffectiveness is tantamount to nihilism; in these two
metaphorical devices [of permanence and annihilation] there is no dharma
[conducive to either] suffering or the favorable.  The heuristic
metaphorical device  is naming.
SH:  If it were permanent, there would be no cultivation of brahmacarya,
while if it were impermanent,  one could not expect the fruition of
brahmacarya.   Giving and receiving would be
meaningless.  That which lacks constancy is meaningless, for that would
utterly eradicate painful, pleasant and neutral qualities in the past and
the future.
NOTES:  * "xu" is tricky.  It might work as "expect", a common enough
meaning of the word.  *  I have not attempted Dao-an's comment -- it is
quite unclear to me.  I have taken "fangbianzhong" as an awkward expression
for "past and future".   *  I think the phrase "fangbian jiaoshou ming"
should be construed as the opening phrase for the definition of that
praj~napti, so I have moved it there.