[Buddha-l] Mere mereness

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Aug 31 10:08:04 MDT 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 05:35, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Alas, the reach of the anglophones goes far. Sometime between
> 1960 and 1967 someone stole Platon's 'n'.

I'm sorry to hear that. On behalf of all anglophones (who have given
me permission to speak on their behalf), I apologize to the
speakers of Dutch. And to Platon and Pyrrhon, whose names were
unceremoniously truncated by the lazy English tongue.

> The French and Germans guarded the
> 'n' against all lingual intrusions. They also purified their
> computerprograms from anglophone influence. The French even
> didn't accept the word 'computer' but insisted on 'ordinateur'.

The French are always so sensible in linguistic matters, although
not always as sensible as the Quebecois, who guard their language
from English incursions even more assiduously than the French.

> It's like the Punjabi habit of dropping the 'a' at the and of
> words, which thurns Buddha into Buddh, while the Bengalis on the
> other hand talk about Buddho.

The people of the southern regions of India compensate for this by
retaining the 'a' and adding an 'n'. So there we can find Raman and
Krishnan and perhaps even Buddhan and Platon. (Or do they add
an 'n' to arrive at Platonn?)

By the way, are you people in Holland mourning the loss of one of
our favourite planets, Pluton? Myself, I think it's only right to
decide that Pluto and Neptune are not planets, since neither of
them is mentioned in the Pali Canon, which contains all truth.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy