[Buddha-l] Speaking of "mere" :

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Wed Aug 30 00:32:56 MDT 2006

Hi Joanna,

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=66,3084,0,0,1,0

........Donor Robert Hung-Ngai Ho
"Unfortunately, people mix up their superstitions with Buddhism, turning it
into a mythical chop suey, so others think that Buddhists are a bunch of
voodoos.".....
[more]

Yes, and he also said:

"It teaches you to do everything on your own, to rely on yourself instead of any supernatural powers or gods," explained Ho, who retired in Canada in 1989 after retiring as publisher of Hong Kong's Kung Sheung Daily Press. (A master's graduate of Columbia University's journalism school, he had worked at the Pittsburgh Press and National Geographic, for a time as White House correspondent, before returning to Hong Kong.)
`Our vision would be to see Buddhism ... widely known and better understood'
Due to the ever-growing links between corporates and the media, mere journalism has to put with severe challenges. Of course there is "free speech and all that", but how free does a journalist feel to express opinions that go against those paying him. Likewise, Robert Hung-Ngai-Ho seems to have some quite outspoken opinions, which is his good right, but I wonder whether those who will be spreading the vision of "mere Buddhism" with his money, will have all the freedom to do so.  Coming from a self made (?) billionaire, I am not sure I am happy with his description of Buddhism as teaching "you to do everything on your own, to rely on yourself instead of any supernatural powers or gods,"...

Joy