[Buddha-l] New publication: A Buddhist Theory of Moral Objectivity

Upeksacitta at aol.com Upeksacitta at aol.com
Mon Aug 21 10:46:31 MDT 2006

"A Buddhist Theory of Moral Objectivity" by Upeksacitta (Robert Ellis) is
now available.

After five years of trying to get established publishers to publish this
book, I have decided to go ahead with a small-scale private printing and sell it
myself on a dana basis. Although most people who have read it have praised
the  content of the book, I have been unable to achieve conventional publication
 primarily because of its length (296,000 words) and because, whilst
academic, it does not fit easily into established categories of academic  discourse.
It is neither analytic nor continental philosophy but questions the
assumptions of both, and it is not Buddhist Studies because it is not a  scholarly
examination of the Buddhist tradition: rather it is philosophy done  in a Buddhist
way, starting with some core principles (non-dualism and the  Middle Way) and
drawing out their implications, without any appeal to the  authority of the
Buddhist tradition.

The book was originally my Ph.D. thesis, written at Lancaster University
1997-2001, though it has much wider scope than most Ph.D. theses, is far longer,
and from the beginning was directed at a wider audience. Although primarily
focussed on ethics, in order to fundamentally re-assess Western attitudes to
ethics from a Middle Way perspective I have found it necessary to examine many
 other related issues (especially of epistemology, critical metaphysics and
psychology) on which approaches to ethics and its objectivity depend. Hence
the  length and depth of the book. My central claim is that the Middle Way is
the key  to an entirely new understanding of objectivity which has not been
recognised in  the West (and not always in the Buddhist tradition, either).

The book consists of two parts, the first being a critique of all the main
Western approaches to ethics from a Buddhist perspective, and the second being
a  more positive account of how non-dualism and the Middle Way can provide the
key  to moral objectivity. Most of the book is primarily directed at a
generally  philosophical academic audience, but with philosophically-minded
Buddhists also  in mind. An appendix offers clarification of the relationship of the
argument to  the Buddhist tradition.

You can obtain the book from me for £20 (UK) or equivalent in other
currencies, plus postage and packing. I am also offering the book on a dana  basis to
anyone who genuinely wants to read it but cannot afford this. If you  are
interested, please e-mail me on _upeksacitta at aol.com_ (mailto:upeksacitta at aol.com)
 .If you feel you  want to sample the book more before buying it, I am also
happy to send you a pdf  (Adobe Acrobat) version of the text by email (I am
expecting this to  increase rather than decrease my sales, as most people won't
want to read it all  on screen!).

Upeksacitta (Robert Ellis)