[Buddha-l] Buddha Image

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 10:22:30 MDT 2006

Hi,

  I am doing research on several aspects of Buddhism. One of it is the Buddha image.

  I am looking for the source of these often quoted passage:

  1. Anatole France in his autobiography writes, 'On the first of May, 1890, chance led me to visit the Museum in Paris. There standing in the silence and simplicity of the gods of Asia, my eyes fell on the statue of the Buddha who beckoned to suffering humanity to develop understanding and compassion. If ever a god walked on this earth, I felt here was He. I felt like kneeling down to Him and praying to Him as to a God.

  2. Once a general left an image of the Buddha as a legacy to Winston Churchill. The general said, 'if ever your mind gets perturbed and perplexed, I want you to see this image and be comforted.'

   3. 'I known nothing,'says Count Hermann Keyserling,' more grand in this world than the figure of the Buddha. It is an absolutely perfect embodiment of spirituality in the visible domain.'

  Thanks,
  Rahula