[Buddha-l] Re: H.H. The Dalai Lama vs Geshe Michael Roach

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Aug 20 15:54:01 MDT 2006

On Saturday 19 August 2006 20:47, Piya Tan wrote:

> It would also be interesting to see what happens to the WBO/FWBO
> when Sangharakshita dies.

Yes, that will be interesting. Even while he is still alive, a
number of very important changes have taken place. There are three
in particular that I find very healthy. If I may run the risk of
boring everyone to tears, let me discuss them briefly.

First, a number of senior and influential members of the WBO have
openly declared that they find Sangharakshita's actions in the past
lamentable and unskillful. The WBO is not a monastic order and
therefore does not require a vow of celibacy. Many, perhaps most,
order members are sexually active and quite open about it. So it is
not Sangharakshita's being sexually active that worries people.
Rather, it's the fact that he never formally disrobed. He continued
to call himself Mahasthavira Sangharakshita and still wore his
robes on ceremonial occasions. To this day, many order members call
him Bhante, knowing full well that that is a term of address
usually used for monks. This strikes many of us as hypocrisy. If
one chooses not to wear robes and follow the code of a bhikshu,
that is fine. What is NOT fine is confusing people by acting in
many respects as a bhikshu but not following the vows and not
participating in pratimoksha ceremonies of confession when one has
broken minor vows.

Second, there was a time when seeking out instruction from Buddhist
teachers outside the WBO, or attending non-WBO retreats, was
strongly discouraged, almost forbidden. That policy led my friend
Stephen Batchelor, and many other observant people, to see the WBO
as more of a cult than a sangha. Fortunately, it is no longer the
case that WBO members are perceived as somehow disloyal if they
broaden their Buddhist horizons. It is now fairly common for WBO
members to attend retreats, and even form relationships with
non-WBO teachers, without feeling conflicted and without feeling
they have to somehow make a choice between "my way or the highway."

Third, there was a time when there was a more or less official WBO
attitude that if one did not regard Buddhism as absolutely the best
teachings on earth, and therefore regard Christianity, Judaism and
Islam as forms of delusion, then one could not sincerely go for
refuge to the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. Interfaith
dialogue was usually regarded with deep suspicion. Many influential
and vocal members of the WBO now openly explore other religions and
feel as free to learn from Jewish, Christian, Muslim and secular
teachers as from non-WBO Buddhist teachers.

> There was a time when I thought Sangharakshita was right about
> needing a new approach (or "new society") in the West and
> westernized communities.

I still think he was right about that. (I think it may be putting
things too strongly to say anyone NEEDS a new approach; I'm content
to say this new approach is welcome to many people.)  I still think
that many of the features of the WBO approach to Buddhism are
useful and productive. Many of us in the WBO still feel that way
and are determined to try to make the WBO what it should have
become instead of what it did become. To do that, of course,
requires serious reflection on one of Sangharakshita's many
maxims: "One cannot become what one should be merely by closing
one's eyes to what one is." This is as true on the collective,
institutional level as on the individual level.

> One of the reasons we have to keep the precepts is out of
> compassion for the suffering others who are seeking the way, and
> so that those approaching it do not lose faith.

As you know, following the ten precepts has always been deemed
extremely important within the (F)WBO. Precepts should not be
confused with monastic vows. They are not equivalent. One can break
monastic vows without violating any ethical precepts. And one can
keep all the monastic vows and still manage to violate some of the
precepts, especially the speech precepts and the mental precepts.

One could argue (as Sangharakshita has done) that monastic vows are
based on the precepts, and I suppose that is broadly true. As Curt
has observed, however, it is not at all obvious that all of the
vinaya rules have something to do with morality or with the virtue
of compassion; many seem to be aimed at what we would now call
public relations and keeping up the sort of appearances that people
in 5th century India needed to keep up if they wanted make a
livelihood as religious beggars. Most scholars of the vinaya rules
whose work I am familiar with seem to think that a good many of the
vinaya rules were all about "image" and only secondarily about the
cultivation of inner virtue.

Back to the WBO attitude toward precepts just for a moment, there
has been considerable discussion about whether Sangharakshita's
sexual conduct during the years when he was sexually active could
better be described as sexual misconduct. To this day, he seems to
believe that his sexual adventures were meant to help people and
that his intentions were pure. Many, perhaps most, of us in the WBO
feel that Sangharakshita is naive and deluded in thinking that his
only intentions were spiritual. The consensus within the WBO, I
think, is that sexual relations between a person who perceives
himself as a disciple and a person whom he perceives as a master
are potentially very damaging, and that it is dangerous not to be
aware of this potential damage. And when one is aware of the
potential damage, then acting in a way that risks doing that damage
can only be seen as foolish and irresponsible. It is disappointing
that Sangharakshita does not at least acknowledge the psychological
harm that some of the disciples with whom he had sexual relations
have suffered. Being in denial is so virtue. Ironic, but probably
not at all unusual, that the man who wrote "One cannot become what
one should be merely by closing one's eyes to what one is" seems so
blind to what he is (or was).

> Well, at least these "monastics" are not molesting thousands of
> little children in the shadows of Pope Alexander "Medici".

Do we know that for sure? It may be better not to assume anything
these days. We live in troubled times when counterfeit virtue far
outweighs genuine virtue. It is the age of fool's gold.

> May we grow as lotuses in the mud heading for the sunshine.

There has been an unprecedented amount of rainfall in New Mexico
this summer. Vegetation is so lush that most local old-timers are
saying "This is no longer New Mexico." Interestingly enough, one of
the plants that grows most abundantly in the damp soil here is
Datura, a beautiful plant with a beautiful flower. If eaten, it
makes people (and cattle) paranoid and psychotic. My feeling is
that a hell of a lot more people are growing as datura out of the
mud than as lotuses and that datura-eaters are more plentiful than
lotus-eaters.

--
Richard Hayes (alias, in the WBO, Dh. Dayamati)
http://home.comcast.net/~dayamati/