[Buddha-l] Re: H.H. The Dalai Lama vs Geshe Michael Roach

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 20:47:20 MDT 2006

Friends in Dharma,

There are a number of instructive papers on this matter, esp

Katy Butler, "Encountering the shadow in Buddhist America"
in Meeting the Shadows, ed Jeremiah Abrams & Connie Zweig, 1991.

Looks like the ghosts of Chogyam Trungpa and co are still around in the
antarabhava occasionally incarnating in our midst.

It would also be interesting to see what happens to the WBO/FWBO when
Sangharakshita dies. It would be likely that the scholars who are current
Orders Members would be able to more freely write authoritatively about
cults, though I think those days are somewhat over for the F/WBO since many
of the members are beginning to think for themselves and are connecting up
with mainstream Buddhism, esp the forest monks. Such first hand writings
will surely prove beneficial in the study of the psychology of religion.

There was a time when I thought Sangharakshita was right about needing a new
approach (or "new society") in the West and westernized communities. When
Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho arrived in Britain (this is now history), I
think the Dharma sun has risen and is shining again.  The old "iron horse"
of Padmasambhava of Orgyen badly needs a full overhaul.

The main point is whether those who take to the monastic robes can keep to
those ancient rules, bending them if necessary, but never breaking them.
Ajahn Jagaro, abbot of the Perth monastery before Ajahn Brahmavamso, was
honorable enough to leave the Order to marry a wonderful Thai lady who
nursed him when he was ill.

If we are to believe the Suttas, the likes of Roach who still delight in
sense-pleasures despite his "training," shows that he has not known any
pleasure higher than sense-pleasure. Surely someone who has tasted dhyana or
higher would let go of lesser pleasures that bring such high costs--and all
that public laundry.

One of the reasons we have to keep the precepts is out of compassion for the
suffering others who are seeking the way, and so that those approaching it
do not lose faith. Otherwise the shadow is darkest where the light seems
brightest, and we are blinded by our own light.

Well, at least these "monastics" are not molesting thousands of little
children in the shadows of Pope Alexander "Medici".

May we grow as lotuses in the mud heading for the sunshine.

Piya Tan