[Buddha-l] On Dylan and Poetry (was "Greetings from Oviedo")

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Sep 29 09:19:38 MDT 2005

>> You that fasten all the triggers for the others to fire
>> Then you sit back and watch while the death count gets higher
>> You hide in your mansions while the young people's blood
>> Flows out of their bodies and gets buried in the mud.
>
> It may be I am hopelessly (or hopefully) naive, but I am quite certain
> Dylan would enjoy singing the same song before an audience of millions,
> right now, as we endure the second Gulf War and the second President Bush.
     OK-- if he'd enjoy it so much, why hasn't he done it? Why doesn't he
get
active with the revived antiwar movement?  Maybe he's too old and rickety
now
to sing for Cindy Sheehan and company. If so, that I can sympathize with.

But the world of musicians has rarely been a politicized world, excepting
the few who aranged big concerts for Bangladesh or Africa and then lost
track of the money.
Ironically, poets who set their thoughts to tunes make out much better
money-wise than those who simply write poetry, hoping to get it published!
Joanna