[Buddha-l] Of Buddha, Miracles, and Ferry Rides

bclough bclough at aucegypt.edu
Mon Oct 31 16:17:22 MST 2005

Searching for the source:

Somewhere (Conze's *Buddhist Scriptures* perhaps) I read of an
episode, presumably from a Pali source, of an episode where the
Buddha encounters a tapasvin on a river bank. The tapasvin boasts
that he can cross to the other side by walking on water (or flying
over, I can't recall which). The Buddha replies that that's
wonderful, but for a few rupees (or some such denomination), I can
pay the ferry-man and also get across easily. (I'm paraphrasing).

Does anyone recognize this story, and know where it appears?

Many Thanks,
Brad
bclough at aucegypt.edu