[Buddha-l] seeking the Pali and Sanskrit term for "holy/ religious/ sacred objects"

Sally McAra s.mcara at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Oct 31 16:12:26 MST 2005

Hi folks
Seeing as the list is quiet lately, perhaps this would be the time to
make an inquiry of those with a background in Sanskrit and /or Pali....

I'm seeking the terms for "holy/ religious/ sacred objects"... Some
context might help:

A while ago I set out to do what was meant to be a quick investigation
into Sanskrit, Pali and Tibetan terminology for classifying "sacred
objects", but have found this quite difficult. I don't have a background
in any of these languages apart from a few terms I've picked up over the
years. The dictionaries I've checked out have been no use, perhaps in
part because we don't have a single word in English for such things (the
word "sacra" is used in anthropology, but I haven't found it used in
this way in the English dictionaries I checked, or when I searched the
online Sanskrit dictionary).

After a few inquiries and reading a few articles (including some
articles by Yael Bentor, and the Trainor and Germano edited volume on
Buddhist relics) I have a range of terms for specific items such as
various kinds of relics, as well as stupa/chorten, etc.

But what I am looking for is a term that could encompass all of the
objects that certain forms of Buddhism deem to have purifying spiritual
powers. In FPMT Buddhism (my area of anthropological research relates to
the Great Stupa they want to build in Australia, and more generally the
role of Buddhist sacra in the spread of Buddhism in the contemporary
world using this particular case study), Lama Zopa urges his followers
to sponsor, construct etc "Holy Objects" (including stupas, prayer
wheels, statues etc).

(For a bit of background, Zopa is often quoted as saying things like,
"the world needs more holy objects" and "The continued existence and
flourishing of the teachings of the Buddha depend upon the continued
existence of the holy objects of Buddha"; "Construction of the
[Maitreya] statue is not the goal - it is the method for achieving the
goal. The goal is to benefit as many people as possible for as long as
possible.")

I have also heard FPMT teachers talk about "the power of the basis" /
"power of the object", meaning that such objects are deemed to help one
to purify obscurations that hinder our spiritual realizations and make
imprints on the mental continuum, regardless of faith.
(One FPMT geshe said that "chorten" can be translated as "the basis for
accomplishing dharma" - cf the use of the word as stupa/repository for
relics).

I made enquiries on H-Buddhism and two people suggested the term in
Tibetan is "rten" (support), or "rten gsum" often translated as the
"three supports" - sku rten, gsung rten and thugs rten.

On the online forum E-Sangha, someone suggested the Pali term might be
"dhamma-dhaja" - a "mark, symbol, or sign of the Dhamma" and it can be a
"cause to uphold or support or remember" the Dhamma. In an online Pali
dictionary "Dhaja" seems to mean "mark, emblem, sign, symbol" so it
could still be too broad. Would it actually be used to classify all
material objects that are deemed to have spiritually-purifying powers,
as opposed to say the symbol for any old thing?

Someone also suggested "sharira" (sorry for the lack of diacritical
marks) plus "dhatu" might be the right word in Sanskrit, but this seems
to be specifically related to bodily relics….?

I'd really appreciate the suggestions of anyone with a good grounding in
Sanskrit or Pali, and/or further comments on the Tibetan term.

By the way, if anyone can suggest any works that discuss the idea of the
"power of the object" and place it in context of Buddhist schools of
thought etc, I 'd be grateful; apart from the articles by Yael Bentor
and others writing on relics, I have not followed that line of thought
far either.

Cheers
Sally

--