[Buddha-l] The authentic Buddha

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Oct 22 09:27:10 MDT 2005

Thanks to Franz for not only bringing up the Kalama Sutta - but also
providing a link directly to it. The formula beginning with "do not be
led by rumor....." is repeated multiple times in the the Sutta - but the
first time it is part of a conditional which begins "When there are
reasons for doubt, uncertainty is born. So in this case, Kalamas, don't
go by reports, by legends, by traditions ......" The conditional part is
left off in subsequent repetitions of the formula - but it seems clear
that all of the repetitions refer directly back to the first one.

So I would say that the Buddha, at least in this one incident, is not
making a blanket statement. He is replying to a very specific kind of
question of the general form "Different teachers have told us different
things. They not only have different teachings, but they criticize each
other as well. How are we to decide who is right?" One way to read this
is that clearly the Kalamas are already skeptical - they don't need
Buddha or anyone else to encourage them to be skeptical. So the Buddha
is not, according to this reading, encouraging skepticism, rather he is
encouraging precisely the opposite of Skepticism with a capital "S",
which holds that absolute truth is unknowable with absolute certainty.
He is telling them that it is in fact possible "to know for yourselves".
And then he proceeds to lead them by the nose through a series of
question and answers that are actually far from obvious - until they all
become his students in the end.

So even though he never says so outright, the Buddha's answer to the
question "How do we decide who is right?" Boils down to, "well, that's
easy - I am."

The page that Franz provided a link to contains a further link to a talk
by Bikkhu Bodhi, who knows a lot more than I do, and expresses himself
much better. Bikkhu Bodhi's take on it is different from mine. In
particular he is far more convinced of the obviousness of the question
and answer part - the part that leads up to the Kalamas all deciding
that the Buddha is right and all those other teachers are wrong.

- Curt