[Buddha-l] The authentic Buddha

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Sat Oct 22 00:13:54 MDT 2005

Hi Franz,

> You ask a brave question in a brave way. And you've received the
> unusually open and non-combative answers your honesty deserves.

I had already started a philo blabber answer to John's question, when I
saw Wong Weng Fai's answer "In your heart" and thought yes it's all
there, there's nothing more to add and then I packed up my stuff again.

> Maybe genuine relativists shouldn't go looking for blessings, even from
> Buddhas. But a breezy practice is at least an open practice. And if
> there's no absolute Buddha out there, we can still bow to our lovely
> longing for it.

Whether there is an absolute Buddha out there, whether there is a God
out there, the following sentence applies to all of us indistinctively,
believers and relativists alike. It's one of those sentences that got
stuck in my head like a mantra ever since I read it (only recently).
It's from The First Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians 4:7

"And what do you have that you didn't receive?"

Note how beautiful the "you didn't receive" is. "And what do you have
that hasn't been given to you?" would not have had the same effect on me.