[Buddha-l] Shingon sutras

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Oct 21 22:17:43 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 08:55 +0800, Wong Weng Fai wrote:

> Only through peer-reviewed publications in recognized
> journals (which are helluva expensive to subscribe to), conferences
> (which are helluva expensive to attend) or in nicely printed books
> (which are helluva expensive to buy) can it be considered of any academic
> standing (as well as determining your next pay increment and/or
> administrative, i.e. power, position in your university).

Everything you say is true, for now. I am hoping this may all change
someday. I am hoping the day will come when more refereed articles will
be published exclusively on-line, as they are in the Journal of Buddhist
Ethics. If that can be done for journals, why not for books? Until then,
I can't afford to buy a copy of my Dignaga book to give to the Buddhist
Library. (I have not forgotten my promise to do that, and someday I will
honour it.)

> Anything free is plain unworthy - just ask Microsoft.

That's a helluva thing to say to a fanatical Linux man!

--
Richard