[Buddha-l] Shingon sutras

Chan Fu chanfu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 19:25:59 MDT 2005

On 10/21/05, Wong Weng Fai <wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg> wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2005, at 3:26 AM, Richard P. Hayes wrote:
> > I am so thoroughly fed up with the publishing industry that I am
> > seriously considering publishing everything else I write from now on on
> > the Internet so that people can get it for free (which is about the
> > right price for the quality of the work I do anyway).
>
> That would be seriously detrimental to your academic performance
> evaluation. Only through peer-reviewed publications in recognized
> journals (which are helluva expensive to subscribe to), conferences
> (which are helluva expensive to attend) or in nicely printed books
> (which are helluva expensive to buy) can it be considered of any academic
> standing (as well as determining your next pay increment and/or
> administrative, i.e. power, position in your university). Anything free is
> plain unworthy - just ask Microsoft.
>
> W.F. Wong

This applies mostly to books - it's not necessarily the economy
of academic papers. Vic Stenger is really close to doing this
though, and unless Richard is after a book for some extra
income (to which he is wholly welcome), I'll not only pay for
the web site, but send him some nice firewood for the winter.
That said, Sir Wong, (are our surnames the same? I spell
mine, "Huang"), if Richard pulls this off it would be a great coup
and worthy of all the firewood I could send.

cf