[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Fri Oct 21 01:03:11 MDT 2005

Hi Hugo,

> If they are just "thinking" then I don't think it will be effective,
> thinking is just generating more confusion.

It is, you are right. But perhaps if one can think oneself in a mess,
perhaps one can also think oneself out of that mess. At least that is
how I see the huge effort that are the Buddhist scriptures. For starters.

> Now if they are just watching they will probably realize some truths,
> and may catch a glimpse of a silent mind, then they may "enjoy" a
> silent mind and the silent mind may arise more frequently.

All that doesn't sound very silent to me, but I see what you are hinting
at. The main course. The silence without the "if...then". The native
being, passivity, the insocial atemporal self, tathagatagarbha, total
coincidence, dare I say the One etc. but without the noise they produce.

> Position, times and places are secondary, but of course certain
> positions, times and places are more useful for some than for others.

In atemporal mode time and space are no reference. Apart from that they
are useful for all of us.

Joy