[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Hugo eklektik at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 11:19:27 MDT 2005

Hello Joy,

On 10/20/05, Joy Vriens <joy.vriens at nerim.net> wrote:
> I think the fetter is the attachment to rites and rituals or illusions
> relating to rites and rituals. I don't think it is the things one is or
> can be attached to that need to be broken. I was very much against rites
> and rituals a couple of years back and seem to be changing position on
> that subject.

Of course, rites and rituals are just that, rites and rituals, it is
the attachment of one wanting them to be effective or the attachment
of one that makes one feel uneasy if one does not perform this or that
ritual that makes suffering arise.

If you understand that rites and rituals are a tool that will help you
realize the Truth (that is if the rite and ritual indeed leads you in
that direction) but not the Truth themselves, it is fine, there will
be a time when that tool is no longer needed.

Also, as long as one doesn't believe that the mere act of performing a
ritual is what is effective, one is fine too.

> E.g. concerning eating meat, I am thinking about

That's a problem, stop thinking!

> Rites and rituals can function as a sort of reminder or reactualisation
> of important information, like the awareness that we owe something to
> the animal whose meat we eat and that being creatures ourselves it is a
> form of cannibalism.

See my previous paragraphs above.

> > 3. Silabbataparamasa means "adherence to wrongful rites, rituals and
> > ceremonies"...in the mistaken belief that purification can be achieved
> > simply by their performance.
>
> I have been told that some Buddhists believe that by sitting cross
> legged at certain times of the day in certain places, concentrating on
> their breathing and by thinking that everything is impermanent,
> imperfect and impersonal they can achieve nirvana.

If they are just "thinking" then I don't think it will be effective,
thinking is just generating more confusion.

Now if they are just watching they will probably realize some truths,
and may catch a glimpse of a silent mind, then they may "enjoy" a
silent mind and the silent mind may arise more frequently.

Position, times and places are secondary, but of course certain
positions, times and places are more useful for some than for others.

--
Hugo