[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist pacifism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Oct 18 10:19:51 MDT 2005

I only call it "Christianizing" when it is done to the complete
exclusion of taking seriously how the Dharma is applied in reality. Such
appears, to me, to be the case with the "Buddhism is inherently
pacifist" argument. "Taking seriously how the Dharma is applied in
reality" would include, for instance, acknowledging that a nation run by
Buddhist monks (Tibet) has never been pacifist, and that a nation in
which Buddhism has been practiced for 1500 years (Korea) numbers among
its national heroes a Zen Master who was the commander of a guerrilla
insurgent army composed exclusively of Buddhist monks to fight against a
foreign invasion.
- Curt