[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist pacifism

Richard Nance richard.nance at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 09:49:24 MDT 2005

> But all we get is quotations, and interpretations
> of Buddhist "ideas". This reveals a consistently "Christianizing"
> approach to Buddhism, which explains why people who hold this view are
> completely incapable of dealing with Buddhism as it actually exists and
> has existed throughout its history.

This betrays a profound lack of knowledge of the Buddhist literary
corpus. Curt, I suggest that you put down the Schopen and go have a
look at the Pali commentaries, or Vasubandhu's Abhidharmako"sa, or
"Saantideva's "Sik.saasamuccaya, or or any of the suutra commentaries
preserved in Tibetan (most of which have been ignored by modern
scholars). Or, for that matter, any number of other primary sources --
there are thousands to choose from.  When you do, you'll find ample
evidence that attention to "quotations and interpretations of Buddhist
'ideas'" has long been a hallmark of Buddhism. Focusing on such things
is a thoroughly Buddhist thing to do; the notion that such an approach
to the tradition is somehow "Christianizing" is simply false.

Best wishes,

R. Nance