[Buddha-l] on eating meat

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Oct 17 17:06:18 MDT 2005

Tibetan monks do not practice vegetarianism as a general rule and I am
pretty sure that the Dalai Lama eats meat more than once a week. I heard
him speak once and he was asked this question (it was funny hearing
several thousand Buddhists groan all at once when he was asked "the
vegetarian question") and he said he was a vegetarian "50% of the time".
You should remember that the Dalai Lama is the avatar of Avalokitesvara,
the freaking Bodhisattva of Compassion - so if he (she?) doesn't have to
be a vegetarian, why should the rest of us get all worked up about it??

The great Tibetan saint/sage Milarepa did in fact practice and encourage
vegetarianism - but as far as I know it never caught on in his lineage -
Kagyu. Eating meat is pretty much a matter of survival in a cold place
like Tibet. But Milarepa was able to generate his own heat magically, so
I think that's why he was able to be a vegetarian. Personally I consider
that cheating.

- Curt