[Buddha-l] Re: recommendations for books on Madhyamika

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 17 16:26:17 MDT 2005

Beni et al.,

I wouldn't say that Curt's and Richard's caricatures of Zen practice
are "plain nonsense." Stereotypes, yes, but not nonsense. I think they
are off the mark these days at most Zen centers in the West, but I
think that's because Western Zen has grown much more comfortable with
its intellectual heritage in these last ten years or so. Before that
things were pretty darn anti-intellectual, at least here in California.
(But then, this should not be surprising.) This movement away from
authoritarianism and anti-intellectualism is my anecdotal experience of
Zen practice, but it's something I see from afar in other Zen contexts
as well--and thank goodness for it.

Cheers,

Franz