[Buddha-l] Unitarian-Universalist Buddhism

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Oct 12 21:51:12 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 15:49 -0500, Tom Head wrote:

> But I take comfort in the fact that the listserv I co-moderate, a UU
> listserv, is predominantly female (only about 25 percent of UUs are
> male).

Well, I'll be damned. (Oh hell! No, I won't. I'm a Universalist.)

Is that statistic published somewhere? I ask only because none of the
four UU congregations I have attended have memberships in which there is
such a paucity of males. My impression is that there is probably a
higher percentage of gay men and women in the average UU congregation
than in the average Catholic seminary, but all the congregations I have
attended in Quebec, Colorado and New Mexico seem to have a pretty even
distribution of men and women. Should we worry about being abnormal? Our
congregation is having a planning meeting next week. Should I be
recommending that about half the males get sex change operations?

Now if you are interested in seeing some heavy-duty gender imbalance, go
to the meetings of your local Jungian Society. For about five years I
attended most of the meetings of the Jung Society in Montreal, and most
of the time I was one of four men in an audience of 150 people. There
were women running the whole gamut from age 59 to around 63. I can tell
you, mister, the four of us men had to work pretty hard to dominate that
brood of crones. (That's a technical term in Jungian psychology, by the
way.)

Do you happen to know of any UU Buddhist list serves? I keep reading
about Buddhist Unitarians on the web, but I can't find any to talk to.
The more I learn about Unitarian-Universalists, and the more I ignore
about Buddhists, the more I can't see much difference, except that UUs
don't try to pretend they are Asians who can sit on the floor for hours
at a time without needing to call an ambulance.

Are there any good UU jokes? The only two I know are: 1) Unitarians
believe in the unity of God, the brotherhood of man and the neighborhood
of Boston, and 2) The difference between a Unitarian and a Universalist
is that Universalists believe that God is too good to damn, and
Unitarians believe they are too good to be damned.

--
My Unitarian Jihad Name (http://tinyurl.com/6valr ) is:
The Logging Chain of Loving Kindness