[Buddha-l] Re: An experiment (Gender on Buddha-l)

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 11 17:24:24 MDT 2005

Gang,

I want to draw our attention to what I think is the *use* of this
thread: clarifying what kind of discourse we want to promote on
buddha-l.

Michael Paris, very reasonably, questioned my recommendations:

>> We *should* do better in promoting the voices of women on this
>> Buddhist list
>
> How?
>
>> and for Buddhist reasons, but we should do better in a *lot* of
>> areas, not just this one.
>
> Maybe, maybe not. Again, how? And what is "better?"

I think an exchange between Andrew Skilton and Joanna begins to answer
Michael. Like Michael, Andrew wondered if we have a duty to promote
women's voices. Joanna answered the how question, but not the why. The
"how" is, as she said, to promote an environment that feels inclusive
and appreciative of differing voices. Since we're online we can only do
this through our style of interaction. But what about that pesky
question of "why"?

I must admit my answer seems a trifle loose and fuzzy, even to me.
Still, I'll throw it out there and say it seems to me that a Buddhist
environment ought to be inclusive and appreciative. It should embody
(in our case, digitally) the compassion of hearing the other and wisdom
of learning from the other. There are things most of us just can't
learn from folks nearly like ourselves. The cultural, psychological,
and physical experience of others--of the Other--are invaluable to our
growth process, even to our bhavana. Just ask Shantideva.

Joanna, is, frankly, not all that different from me, but hey we go into
dialogue with the buddha-l we have, not the buddha-l we might want. If
she is at least somewhat "different" and yet remains active on our list
and others perceive her activity is appreciated, then they will more
likely become active, themselves. Same goes for someone like Stan
Ziobro, who holds political views different from the seeming majority
of the list. Preserving these voices, hearing these voices, respecting
these voices, learning from these voices is "better" (to try to answer
Michael's question) because it compensates for or complements the
majority voice of the list. This strikes me as self-evidently good.
Perhaps that is not the case for others. Would it help if I said it
reminded me of Theravada meditation, where the meditator's specific
practice is chosen by the teacher to counteract habitual thought
patterns or character traits?

I guess I see buddha-l as somehow inherently Buddhist or therapeutic. I
realize, thank you Andy, that this is NOT in the constitution of the
list. This is supposed to be an academic list. Yet I think others could
back me up (if necessary) in asserting that an academic community
functions best when the same principles of inclusiveness and
appreciation are upheld. Indeed, I think one could make this case more
easily for academia than for Buddhism. Since I've gone on quite long
enough, I hope I don't have to add that this does not mean we have to
include and appreciate just *anything.*

Cheers,

Franz