[Buddha-l] Dana

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 11 02:05:14 MDT 2005

Mike Austin schreef:

> Hi folks,
>
> I make donations to other charities when there are major disasters,
> but it would be better to make regular payments.  I have been
> investigating various charity accounts and consider that too much goes
> on advertising. This is a pet peeve of mine. A sizeable donation to a
> major charity can result in loads of junk mail - even phone calls.
>
> What are your preferred charities - and why?

Calcutta Rescue Fund, because I did some volunteerwork in Calcutta
once.  Greenpeace to keep the pressure going. Amnesty because I think we
cannot do without them. International Campaign for Tibet, this has
become doubtful lately, because in every mail they send they ask for
money again. The need to spend money on publicity, but I'm not sure
about how really happens with the money and they're very close to the
Tibetan clergy, which I don't want to sponsor. Last year they asked
every donator to turn the donation into an automatic payment. They even
phoned me personally to talk me into it. I refused because I wanted to
decide everytime again to whom I wanted to give and how much.
We gave money to the Tsunami victims last year before teh campaign
started and we will probably donate for the victims of the earthquake.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms