[Buddha-l] An experiment (Gender on Buddha-l)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Oct 10 10:42:33 MDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "bclough" <bclough at aucegypt.edu>

> >I will, though, continue where relevant to bring out
>> gender issues in Buddhist literature and practice.
>> Joanna
>
> Please do, Joanna; I for one would appreciate this! And thanks for
> sending the wake-up call to the list regarding gender insensitivity.
> It gave me pause, and I hope it does for others too, although I 'm
> not too optimistic about those who fall back on the weak "there is no
> male or female view" argument.
>
> Regards,
> Brad
==============================
Thanks for the backup, Brad. That wake-up call has been long in the offing
(as I grow long in the tooth, having been on this list for quite some time).
 Many have also written to me off list offering their insights and support.
There is much in Buddhism that reflects gender oppression and
domination, as the verses of many a Theri have brought out in the
Therigata, written by women who gratefully put up with the additional
rules laid on them in order to enable women to ordain and benefit
from the monastic life and the Buddha's teachings.
However, I am about as optimistic as you are when it comes to some
contributions to the list.
Excelsior!
Joanna