[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Tomoyuki Kono tomokono at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 9 16:57:34 MDT 2005

Dan,

As you pointed out, the thread has run its course so I don't want to
drag it unnecessarily. However, you have misrepresented my more than
what I can bear in silence. So I think I deserve another say. If
other Buddha-L participants are thoroughly fed up with this topic,
they need only reach for the delete button just this time.

I never said that the two examples I described as the *only* and
*whole* truths. In the case of Sttinnett's book, his argument was
based on previously classified documents many of which were released
only after the Freedom of Information Act came into force in 2000.
These are primary sources, so whatever version of event you find
convincing, they need to be dealt with. As for the story behind the
delayed ultimatum, this too is based on a journalist's discovery of
previously unpublished/unnoticed testimonies by those who were
directly involved in the event at the embassy. But the latter was
just an anecdote; I never indulged in speculating about its
historical implications.

>> shown to be erroneous, as Robert Stinnett's well-researched book, Day
>> of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor, has shown.
>>

> That's probably the oldest "conspiracy" theory we have re: WW II
> (anti-war
> activists were already proposing that in the early '40s).
As I said, the theory I refer to was proposed on the basis of the
hitherto top-secret documents which became available as a result of
their declassification in recent years. I know nothing about the old
conspiracy theorists but they couldn't have possibly been making the
same argument, even if their conclusion looks similar.

> There is nothing to this "FDR knew and wanted" theory, but I can
> understand
> why you would find that sort of thing persuasive and even comforting.
I may only find it plausible on the basis of reliable historical
evidence. If it's not borne out by the evidence or if the evidence
points to the contrary, I will be more than willing to accept it
because, unlike some ardent 'revisionist' historians in Japan, I
don't have wounded national pride :)

> Bottom
> line: even if one would like to imagine that somehow magically
> Japan didn't
> attack Pearl Harbor of its own volition but was somehow forced or
> tricked
> into it by FDR, that doesn't explain what happened to Manchuria,
> Korea,
> China, etc. etc.
[snip]
One may imagine that but not me. I don't indulge in that sort of
polemic you seem to ascribe to me. I never denied or attempted to
justify various acts of Japanese imperialism and atrocities that took
place before and after Pearl Harbor.

> As for the comedy of errors -- too polite to present an ultimatum in a
> timely manner -- that whole story, from every angle, stretches
> credulity
> beyond all bounds.
The point of that anecdote, which I admit I didn't make clear as it
was a mere digression, was to show you how rigid an accepted version
of history often becomes. You may find it utterly ridiculous, but
have you read the article before you trashed its content? This too
was on the basis of hitherto unnoticed/unpublished sources. Even in
light of new evidence, some people don't want to know, let alone
believe. But it's not my concern to convince you or anyone of the
validity of this discovery, no matter. By the way, I certainly wasn't
trying to say that the delay in handing the ultimatum was due to the
poor enthusiastic American priest who talked too much at the funeral :)

> The error was missing part of the fleet (see below),
> not the timing of the delivery of the ultimatum.
I didn't say anything about the timing of the ultimatum. As far as I
know, the naval fleet was going to attack Pearl Harbor anyway, and
the wording of the ultimatum and its timing had been planned in Tokyo
days before. So I'm not disputing that or admiral Yamamoto's
thinking, which I have also read about.

> It was a surprise attack. If an ultimatum had been offered in a timely
> manner, there would have been time to mount at least some sort of
> defense,
> and there would have been no advantage of surprise. But of course, FDR
> wanted the place bombed, right? So an ultimatum wouldn't have
> mattered -- so
> why don't we spare Japan all embarrassment in this, and say that the
> ultimatum was delivered on time, and FDR just sat on it?
> (That was sarcastic again)
Well, it looks as though he did. The Americans had cracked the
Japanese diplomatic code earlier that year so the timing of the
forthcoming ultimatum was known to some. The warning was radioed,
among others, to Lieutenant General Walter Short in Hawaii, but he
received it, er, six hours after the first bombs fell on PH (source:
document RG80, PHLO, MMRB, Archives II, whose photocopy is reproduced
in Stinnett, p. 301).

What is more, Stinnett has shown ample evidence that (1) the Japanese
naval fleet on the way to Pearl Harbor did not observe radio silence.
This includes transmission by Admiral Nagano and Admiral Yamamoto;
(2) their communication was intercepted by the Americans; and (3) the
Americans had already cracked the military code as well, so they new
what the Japanese were communicating to each other. He also shows
from the declassified archival records that Admiral Kimmel and
Lieutenant General Short in Hawaii did not have unrestricted access
to the decoded and translated diplomatic and military intercepts, and
that in some crucial cases leading up to the attack, they were
bypassed. So undoubtedly it was a surprise attack for those in
Hawaii, including commanders there. FDR, as well as some of the
thirty-six individuals who had unrestricted access to this
information would have known what the Japanese had been up to. This
much is certainly not conspiracy theory; clearly demonstrated
historical facts which only emerged very recently.

> The issue here is not about being pro or anti US or Japan, but about
> thinking clearly.
I cannot agree more. I don't think either of us have been.

I will refrain from posting further on this topic regardless of
whether Dan chooses to reply or not.

Best wishes,
Tomo