[Buddha-l] Teaching Zen Buddhist philosophy

Dan Lusthaus dlusthau at mailer.fsu.edu
Mon Oct 10 01:41:05 MDT 2005

Richard,

I second Franz's suggestion to include Brian Victoria (the first book stands
on its own better -- and a new edition is due out; the second is more vivid,
focusing on specific individuals and their contexts - we used the second,
and the students enjoyed struggling with the way it challenged their
presuppositions and fantasies). Last spring I taught a Zen course, using
Victoria as the climactic text (and was fortunate enough to get Victoria to
come to the class). He is an ordained Soto priest, currently married, so he
fits the criteria you've specified. And he certainly raises the important
questions.

Dan Lusthaus