[Buddha-l] Teaching Zen Buddhist philosophy

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 9 15:48:17 MDT 2005

Richard,

I am intellectually salivating over your course (if this phrase causes
anyone to form any unappealing mental image, I'm sorry). Like you, I've
used mostly "the classics" when teaching Buddhist courses, but I can
still have a go at contemporaries, just for fun.

The exception to the classics is Janwillem van de Wetering's _The Empty
Mirror_ (most recently in print through St. Martin's Griffin, 1999). It
has what might be an excellent balance of philosophical rumination and
rather sordid life for a course taught out of the philosophy
department. My students love this book; I do too. His recent _Afterzen_
(St. Martin's, 1999) continues wrestling with the moral mess of
contemporary Zen practice, but to my mind it's a bit scattered and
depends on reading the first book (and that would be too much JvdW for
one course).

As for contemporary possibilities--in addition to the authors you
mention--how about _The Heart of Being: Moral and Ethical Teachings of
Zen Buddhism_, by John Daido Loori Roshi (Tuttle, 1996)? I confess I
have not read it and it may be too close to Aitken Roshi's wonderful
_The Mind of Clover_ (which I'm sure you were thinking of when you
mentioned him in your post). If I had to choose two and only two
contemporary authors on Zen ethics is would surely be Aitken and Loy.)

(BTW: by mentioning me in the same sentence as Aitken Roshi and
Professor Loy, I think you set in motion mental events that are going
to cost me several lifetimes of ahamkaara-reducing practice. Still, as
for this lifetime, thank you.)

In the context of Zen ethics I think I might have students read Brian
Victoria's work. I'm wondering if chapter seven (on "imperial-way"
Buddhism) of _Zen at War_ or chapter five (on Yasutani Roshi) of _Zen
War Stories_ could be read out of context of the remainder of those
books.

Finally, I love the heart (or should I say "brain"? Let's go with
"shin") of _Zen and the Brain_, but I can't imagine assigning that
thing to undergraduates. A few well-chosen chapters--or really excerpts
from chapters--would suffice to raise its central questions (and I
don't think Austin pretends to give final answers to the questions,
anyway). Like you, I'm curious if anyone has used this book to good
effect in teaching.

I hope others will chime in with their own thoughts. And, in light of
Joy's recent plaint, I hope someone can correct for my
gender-imbalanced recommendations.

Franz