[Buddha-l] Gender on Buddha-l

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sun Oct 9 19:13:19 MDT 2005

In message <009201c5cd30$9acae680$53644e51 at zen>, Stephen Hodge
<s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>Dear Mike,
>
>> Would one suggest there is a generic short person's  point of view as
>>opposed to a generic tall person's point of view?
>
>Actually, yes.  Tall people literally look down on many others and I
>believe, from unsystematic personal observation, this can lead to
>various personality traits (in the case of males) that often translate
>into certain particular, though obvious, attitudes.  Similarly, short
>people (again usually male), who of necessity have to look up literally
>to many others, often seem to me (who FYI happens taller than average)
>to have some "point" to prove to the world

I have also noticed a similar tendency in some short people. I would not
read a generic point of view into this.  I would not even be able to say
that it is statistically significant. But, in any case, "There are lies,
damn lies and statistics".

What is of interest to me is whether such categorisations help or hinder
us when trying to help others.  On one hand, one might seek to formulate
one's responses to others for the best results from a statistical basis.
On the other hand, one would only be addressing the probable needs of an
imaginary, non-existent generic being. The question I ask myself is: how
would a Bodhisattva do it?  As much as I enjoy analysis, I instinctively
feel that the categorisations would have to go.

--
Metta
Mike Austin