[Buddha-l] non-entanglement, motherhood and right livelihood

StormyTet at aol.com StormyTet at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 23:19:01 MDT 2005

In a message dated 10/8/2005 3:49:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
selwyn at ntlworld.com writes:

>"There are these ten topics of [proper] conversation. Which ten?
>Talk on modesty, on contentment, on seclusion, on non-entanglement,
>on arousing persistence, on virtue, on concentration, on
>discernment, on release, and on the knowledge & vision of release.
>These are the ten topics of conversation. If you were to engage
>repeatedly in these ten topics of conversation, you would outshine
>even the sun & moon, so mighty, so powerful -- to say nothing of  the
>wanderers of other sects."

I quite agree that these are  good topics for discussion for both
monks and lay people and would  personally find Buddha-L more
interesting if it were discussing them  more.

Lance Cousins

In light of my recent stress, I would love to listen to people wax eloquent
on "non-entanglement." The subject of attachment vs. non-attachment has
probably  been the most salient buddhist dichotomy that I have worked with in my
life. My  conception of what detachment means has changed dramatically since I
began my  practice (about 7 years ago). Being a mother has made this issue
central  to finding balance in my life and academic career.

I just recently watched "Searching for Debra Winger." The movie is about
aging female actresses and one of the topics they discuss is the terrible
tension between following their passion for acting (right livelihood?) vs.
fulfilling their role of mother. The struggle that is depicted in the movie is  very
real, I think, for any woman who recognizes a life passion/work and the  impact
that fulfilling her path will have on her children.

There is a woman's topic. :)

Stormy