[Buddha-l] Re: Diversions, distractions and on-topic discussions

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Oct 8 18:07:48 MDT 2005

Speaking of "open space and seeing," the time has come for me to point out
what I alluded to very indirectly before--that comments on this list are so
spatially oriented toward, and closed, by the males on it that useful and
relevant comments by a female, me in this case, continually are unresponded
to and/or ignored. (I just went over my postings to the list since 23 Aug,
and found 17 of them, most of them, that were totally not responded to.)
This has been going on for months.  Too often, the un-responded-to posts
that I had hoped would elicit responses that I could think over and learn
from, ended up being ignored, and I had no responses to consider.

Generally speaking, and especially when the testosterone gets rampantly
flowing over some particular topic-- despite the fact that it has worn out
its welcome (among some of us) long before and people are just repeating
themselves--the debate just keeps on going like some exhausted battery
rabbit commercial.

I happen to be a scholar--- therefore what serious posts I offer don't come
out of People magazine or usenets, and I have to say that it's time male
denizens of this list thought over their tendency to ignore anything, even
almost everything, I contribute to the list discourse. And please do not
indulge yourselves by replying that I am suffering from an excess of ego,
since that is found in wondrous abundance among every other contributor on
this list --so forget about that one. As well, don't ask me to just delete
if I don't like what's on offer here......I do that regularly.

No--This is an unrecognized issue on this list---male egomania and the
unconscious marginalization and ignoring of anything offered by the one
female scholar, so far, to have anything to do with this Buddha-L discourse
for some time, who sometimes even (schock) offers a rather female point of
view. Maybe there are other women scholars like me on Buddha-L, but they are
not posting. I can surely understand why. A few months ago there was a woman
who posted a few times to the list, (I don't know if she's a scholar or
not), but she quickly took off.

Think it over, y'all, and please do not demean yourselves by offering any
smart-aleck or condescending replies. If Buddha-L is supposed to be a
community of practicers and scholars, then stop isolating and ignoring the
contributions of the other gender here.

Best wishes,
Joanna