[Buddha-l] Diversions, distractions and off-topic discussions

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Oct 8 08:19:44 MDT 2005

Caring passionately about political and social issues, and engaging in
robust debate about them are no more or less related to practice than
chopping wood, carrying water, sitting meditation, chanting mantras,
etc. The 12th century Zen Master Ta Hui said "Practice in the midst of
activity is a million times superior to practice pursued in
tranquility." Hakuin did a famous calligraphy of this saying, and
commented on it: "Those who practice only in silence cannot establish
their freedom when entering into activity. When they engage in worldly
activities, their satori will disappear completely."
- Curt