[Buddha-l] Re: Pennsylvania and crying Buddhas

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at email.smith.edu
Thu Oct 6 09:16:26 MDT 2005

Benito Carral wrote:

> I don't know many buddhas who are comedians. Well, now that I mention
> it, I don't know many buddhas.

So, I take it that you know some Buddhas--how many Buddhas do you know?
Care to give up their names? And how do you know them when you see/meet
them? IOW, what are the characteristics of a Buddha that you work with
in order to recognize them?

BTW, I am entirely serious about this-- I am offering a seminar on
"Buddhahood 101" next semester, and the question of just what
constitutes Buddhahood is the entire topic, all of which is somewhat in
service of answering the question of whether or not anybody is a Buddha
these days. I ask this to just about everybody, and Bhante Gunaratana
answered just the other day that he hasn't met any Buddhas, then quickly
qualified himself to say that he has met some that he considers arhats.
. . unfortunately, there wasn't time to find out what he meant, much
less who these folks were.

I am not myself sure of my own answer-- I certainly have never met any
Buddhas as described, for example, by John Mackransky in his "Buddhahood
Embodied." I guess I first need to decide what I think a Buddha
is--hence the seminar :) . . .

In any case, yours and others comments would be great!

Jamie