[Buddha-l] Re: Pennsylvania and crying Buddhas

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Wed Oct 5 21:01:36 MDT 2005

On Wednesday, October 5, 2005, Mitchell Ginsberg wrote:

> I mean, if we can cry and can laugh, that seems easy;
> if  we cannot cry and cannot laugh, that seems doable
> (although a bit cramped a life space to live in); but
> how to be open only to crying but not to laughing, to
> be  capable of depression but not joy? It's enough to
> ask  which  Buddhism  that  would be? (just wondering
> aloud),

   I  think that buddhas have a very different sense of
humor,  so  they  don't  laugh with average jokes. Some
months  ago,  while  I  was  dining at the living room,
someone  was  watching  a sitcom. There was a room with
two  men and a woman, and the woman said, "Between both
of you I don't know whom the child I'm waiting is." And
the  one  at  the living room started to laugh aloud. I
never  knew  what  the funny thing was. So I think that
most  of  laugh  is  stupid and that that's why buddhas
don't  tend  to  practice it. I don't know many buddhas
who are comedians. Well, now that I mention it, I don't
know many buddhas.

   Best wishes,

   Beni