[Buddha-l] Pennsylvania and crying Buddhas

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 19:51:44 MDT 2005

Thank you all for these interesting postings. (It's
been a quiet few days here.) ;o)

>From Pennsylvania (where I was born, in Philadelphia,
The City of Philos, aka Brotherly Love, just a few
blocks in fact from the statue of William Penn at
city's center, which btw for several decades now has
had a number of buildings looking down on the pigeons
on top of Penn's Quaker hat) with its Quaker history
and background, to the idea that Buddhas also cry (but
presumably do not laugh) and be depressed (but perhaps
never happy?), I wonder what sorts of consciousness
would be underlying that asymmetry.

I mean, if we can cry and can laugh, that seems easy;
if we cannot cry and cannot laugh, that seems doable
(although a bit cramped a life space to live in); but
how to be open only to crying but not to laughing, to
be capable of depression but not joy? It's enough to
ask which Buddhism that would be? (just wondering
aloud),

Mitchell

http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/mentalhealth.html with links to
my home page, info on The Inner Palace (3rd ed.) and The Far Shore
(3rd ed.), further links to  psychotherapy, to my current teaching,
to the Insight Practice (Vipassana),  Chishtiyya (Sufi), Creative
Solutions for Peace, and Nasrudin discussion groups, and to the
Collective Dharma Insight project.