[Buddha-l] Sanskrit speaking Buddha

libris libris at singnet.com.sg
Sat Nov 19 07:55:05 MST 2005

Dear James,

My name is Piya Tan, teaching Sutta studies and meditation at the Brahm Education Centre (the training facility of the Buddhist Fellowship here). My special interest is a comparative study of the Pali Nikayas and Sanskrit texts and the Chinese Agamas. This interest has been spurred on by Ajahn Sujato of the Santi Forest Monastery near Sydney, Australia.

Lately I am fortunate to have received some Sanskrit texts of Pali Sutta parallels, that is, those edited by Sander, by Tripathi, by Hosoda, and others. Comparing these Sanskrit texts with their Pali counterparts is such exciting study.

These personal studies are published in the Sutta Discovery series which I use for the weekly classes at the National University of Singapore Buddhist Society and the Buddhist Fellowship.

I would like to thank you for giving the link to Matsuda's article, which is very helpful in my area of interest.

Ajahn Sujato and I are currently looking for the Sanskrit text of the all-important Catusparisad Sutra. We would be very grateful if anyone could hold up a lamp for us here.

Sadhu

Piya Tan