[Buddha-l] Sanskrit speaking Buddha

James Ward jamesward at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 19 02:59:31 MST 2005

Hi Lance and Stephen,

I haven't been able to see the published Schøyen Bamiyan texts yet, but
I did note the following from Matsuda Kazunobu:

"Next, Dr. Sander and Professor Braarvig found some 40 folio fragments
of the A.s.tasaahasrikaapraj~naapaaramitaa among palm-leaf manuscripts
in Ku.saa.na script. Dr. Sander infers that these fragments date back
to the second century. The language in the text is a kind of Buddhist
Sanskrit, a dialect similar to that of the Mahaavastu. For example,
"eva.m vutte" represents "evam ukte." The second century is not far
from the date when the text of Praj~naapaaramitaa suutras has been
established, and now actual evidence has appeared. It proves the fact
that the earliest Praj~naapaaramitaa was not completed as a genuine
Sanskrit text from the beginning, but that fairly vulgar Prakrit
versions of the suutra existed in India preceding the Sanscritized
texts. To say the least, these are the earliest Mahaayaana texts which
are extant today and written in the beautiful Ku.saa.na script."

http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-JOS/jos94088.htm

Best wishes,

James Ward

On Nov 19, 2005, at 12:04 AM, L.S. Cousins wrote:

[snip]

>> Are you then assuming that very early Mahayana texts (or
>> proto-Mahayana) such as the Lotus Sutra or the earliest PP sutras
>> (generally believed for a number of reasons to have pre-dated c2nd
>> CE)  were written / compiled in some form of MIA prior to their
>> Sanskrit, albeit a hybrid form, versions ?
>
> Either that or they might originally have been spoken/chanted works,
> later written down in Sanskrit or some kind of Sanskritized Prakrit.
> This seems quite possible in the case of the PP works, perhaps less so
> in the case of the Lotus.

[snip]