[Buddha-l] Anomalous doctrines

F.K. Lehman (F.K.L. Chit Hlaing) f-lehman at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 22 21:26:11 MST 2005

I am particularly happy to see Stephen Hodge put "Forest Dwellers" in
quotation marks. After all, as any one familiar with Indian languages
in general knows, words like vana can be used to refer not to
forests, literally, but to places away from major centres of civil
power and civilisation. These 'wandering ascetics' need not have
been, and almost certainly were not literally dwellers in any forest;
rather, they were to be found in what we used, in Indian-Burmese
English to call 'jungly' villages, towns etc., e.g., the early stupas
and reliquaries Hodge mentions at this point in his useful message.
--
F. K. L. Chit Hlaing
Professor