[Buddha-l] Anomalous doctrines

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 18:56:13 MST 2005

Now that the dust has settled a bit regarding the textual origins of the
MPNS, I would like to focus attention a bit on the problem of certain
concepts, like the TG doctrine, that seem anomalous or even non-Buddhist in
nature. I find the standard knee-jerk argument that these kinds of teachings
are brahmanistic ideas that have deviously infiltrated pristine Buddhism
rather unconvincing, and sometimes seemingly little more than a ploy to
avoid any re-examination of Buddhist origins which might undermine the
orthodox, normative model. My interest here is not to prove that any
particular doctrinal position is correct or more authentic in some way, but
propose and evaluate certain hypothesises that may help us better understand
the way in which Buddhism developed. Naturally, some of what I suggest has
been noted by others in the past but there seems to be a tendency to drown
out such voices in many accounts of Buddhism. Moreover, I am aware that to
some wise minds here, these suggestions will seem a bit pedestrian and even
long-winded: sorry but that is my style yet I think they have some merit
worthy of discussion.

First, a general observation. If we assume that the Nikayas / Agamas, albeit
with some stratification, are the closest thing we have historically to the
actual teachings of the Buddha, then I am struck by the relative economy of
the Buddha's words in view of the historical claims that some make about
these texts. I have a stack of translations here of the Nikayas which looks
pretty impressive until one starts to do some sums. If we eliminate all the
obvious duplicates, the suttas that are minor variants, those delivered by
disciples and also those which are really unlikely to have actually been
uttered by the Buddha, we are left with how many suttas ? Let's take a very
rough figure and say 1000 or even 2000 discourses. This seems a lot until we
consider that this represents only 45 - 90 discourses per annun for a
teaching career lasting around 45 years. In fact, about one a week or less.
This suggests several possible scenarios. One is that the Buddha did not
have much to say for himself most of the time - after all, he was a "muni"
(a sage characterized by maunya / silence). Another is that he said things
that have seemingly not been recorded for some reason. Other possible
scenarios come to mind as I am sure will be quick to suggest.

My hunch, shared by others, is that the corpus of dialogues attributed to
him were a artefact consciously created by a few groups within the early
Buddhist movement. Though as a record of a teacher's lifetime of discourses,
the Nikayas are rather sparse, they are however perhaps at the upper limit
of what can be usefully remembered, studied and transmitted. This is an
important point - the process of remembrance and transmission. To remember
and transmit the Nikayas presupposes a considerable degree of institutional
organization which I suspect would not have existed with the early Buddhist
movement for several generations - I believe the archaeological record
confirms this.

If we take Frauwallner's findings on the old Skandhaka portion of the
Vinaya, that it was created at a particular time and place for a particular
purpose, then we might also assume that the Nikayas were composed or
compiled in a similar manner. Given the need for a centre or centres with
institutional organization, we must assume that some or even just one of the
viharas with their population of sedentary monks to be the initial focal
point for this compilation activity. It has been noted that main concern of
these sedentary monks would have been twofold: maintenance of the vinaya and
maintenance of the scriptural tradition through memorization. These two
things, especially the latter, would probably have taken up most of their
time, leaving little time for meaningful pursuit of other Buddhist aims.
These considerations have been discussed by Schopen in many of his papers.

Now as for the range of doctrines and discourses contained in the Nikayas, I
believe it would be reasonable to assume that the resident monks would have
tended to select or compile suttas that conformed to and justified their
life-style. This has been suggested by several scholars so I will not repeat
the evidence here, except to point out the corollary: anything which did not
conform to their concept of the Buddha's teachings (already at several
generation's remove), just would not have been preserved. I do not suggest
that this was necessarily a malign process, just human nature at work -
imagine a Richard Hayes or a Dan Lusthaus in charge of Nikaya compilation.
However, their redactional fruits were not entirely free from anomalies - in
fact there are quite a few. Now this is where my interest in Stanislaw
Schayer's hypotheses lies.

Schayer was part of a thriving academic school in pre-war Poland which was
producing some very interesting work until most got themselves killed or
died during WWII, including Schayer himself at a relatively young age. After
the hiatus of the war, very little attention has been given to his work
subsequently, which I think is a pity. It may interest the pramanikas on
this list to know that Schayer cut his teeth on Nyaaya and is reputed have
produced some outstanding work in this field. However, he turned his
attention to the question of pre-canonical Buddhism and developed a
methodology for identifying what features it seems to have exhibited. What
he assumed was that anomalous elements in the Nikayas were included by the
compilers out of necessity because of their antiquity and authority. He
stated in this regard, "[The] conclusion follows of itself: these texts
representing ideas and doctrines contradictory to the generally admitted
canonical viewpoint are survivals of older, pre-canonical Buddhism". As far
as I know, he did not set out with a prior agenda that pre-judged the nature
of pre-canonical Buddhism, though piecing together the fragmentary evidence,
he did produce the outline of a coherent yet surprising picture that differs
radically from later orthodox, normative Buddhism.

So what did Schayer and his group find ? There are four main elements:

1. Nirvana was not simply a "blowing-out" or cessation, but was the
attainment of immortality and of a deathless sphere. This nirvana, as a
supramundane state, is also incarnated within the person of the Buddha,
making him who he was.

2. The Buddha was considered to be a being in whom ultimate reality was
embodied as an incarnation of a tathagata, a terrestrial manifestation of
the Dharma.

3. The idea of anaatman was much more limited in application. It was held
that there was also a self / vij~naana that is the permanent core of an
individual and is an element (dhaatu) absolute in nature, immersed into the
contingent. Nirvana is possible because it is already indwelling as the
innermost core of a being.

4. The relationship of the disciples with the Buddha was based on a
recognition of his charisma and spiritual authority, rather than on a simple
conviction of the veracity or rationality of the doctrines he revealed.

Thus, what Schayer has shown is that there was a second doctrinal position
current in early Buddhism prior to the canonical period, as old as, *if not
older*, than the so-called orthodox Buddhism of the Nikayas and Agamas. Of
course, the dual nature of earliest Buddhism has long been recognized, but
it would seem that it is a misnomer to call this the "two-tiered" model, as
this prejudicially privileges the doctrines and practices associated with
the "orthodox" monastic form of Buddhism. It should be noted that the
existence of these two stands at that very early stage of Buddhist history
is about as far back as one can probably go - to what extent this represents
the situation during the lifetime of the Buddha and reflects his own
teachings is probably impossible to determine.

The next matter I would like to consider is this : did these supposedly
"anomalous" doctrines cease to have any existence except as fragmentary
fossils in the Nikayas or were they sustained by any groups ? Now, overall,
one might characterize the orthodox Nikayan approach as apophatic while the
other approach is decidedly kataphatic. Do we find any traces of these
kataphatic doctrines in later Buddhism[s] ? Of course, the answer is yes:
hints of the continuity of these doctrines can be found in what is known or
survives from some of the classical 18 schools, but more especially many
elements of Mahayana doctrines seem to echo the above anomalous doctrines
quite loudly. If we eliminate the apparent aberration of the Madhyamika
school, much of what remains in Mahayana and later Tantra would seem to
articulate and expand the above four points. My own interest in the MPNS is
a very good case: every one of those points forms a key doctrine in this
text. In other words, whether there is a direct continuity or not, the main
tenets of the MPNS are identical to or have their antecedents in this early
pre-canonical phase of Buddhism. One of the repeated claims of the MPNS is
that the Buddhism of its day is a distorted, misunderstood version of the
Buddha's true teachings. What it advocates, interestingly, is not that one
should abandon the apophatic for the kataphatic, but that the balance should
be redressed - it is clear from many statements in the text that neither
approach alone is adequate for the task of liberation from samsara and
suffering.

Now, it might be interesting if we were to take Mahayana claims about its
origins seriously, if not always literally. A key feature of these claims is
that there were two groups taught by the Buddha, the sravakas and the
bodhisattvas. According to many Mahayana sutras, the sravakas had lesser
ability in understanding, often took things literally and often missed the
point entirely. And, as is well know, these sravakas were precisely the
people who venerated the doctrines of the Nikayas / Agamas and developed the
scholasticism of the Abhidharma. If that is the case, could there have been
another group of people whose ideological descendants, real or adopted, gave
rise to Mahayana ? Here, one might like to bear in mind that the appellation
"bodhisattva" is probably a mistaken Sanskritization of "bodhisakta" (one
who adheres to / cleaves to bodhi), in contrast to a sravaka who is one who
listens (listens to textual recitation ?).

Initially, the majority of the very early Buddhists, including the Buddha
himself, would have lived most of their lives as wanderers and meditators.
After a number of generations, culminating in the composition of the old
Skandhaka and compilation of the Nikayas, groups of monks ceased to live the
life of a wanderer in any meaningful sense of the word and took up settled
residence in well-organized viharas. But, from odd snippets of information
(and common-sense), we know that there were also those who long after
continued the old wandering, meditative life. We can conveniently call these
people the "forest-dwellers". Might it not be reasonable to assume that just
as the later systematized, "orthodox" teachings enshrined in the Nikayas
were the property of the sedentary monks, were not the apparently anomalous
doctrines primarily associated with these wandering forest-dwellers ? This
would seem to make sense in terms of later developments in Buddhism. There
is evidence that some of the early Mahayana sutras, such as the Pure Land
sutras, were indeed composed by wanderers or forest-dwellers. And, as I have
mentioned, the MPNS itself clearly states that its proponents were not
originally sedentary monks (nor even monks in the conventional sense) but
wanderers who taught the Dharma, especially at the sites of the great stupas
enshrining the relics of the Buddha which for them amounted to the living
presence of the eternal Buddha.

This msg has turned out to be rather long so I hope it will get posted
unscathed - I could say more and expand on many of the points I have raised
above (I have not even touched on Tantra !), but I am sure that these will
find occasion to emerge in the intelligent and scholarly debate I hope this
stimulates.

Best wishes,

Stephen Hodge