[Buddha-l] MPNS (Morrison)

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 20:29:14 MST 2005

Hi, Richard

> 1. In the Chinese translations you've looked at (both the MPNS and
> beyond), is a terminological distinction drawn between the
> dharmakathika and the dharmabhaa.naka (as the Tibetan translatiors
> distinguished between chos sgrogs pa and chos smra ba)? Is this
> distinction observed rigorously, or have you seen some slippage
> between the two terms?
The Tibetan has chos smra ba while the Chinese suggests dharmakathika.
However, the Tibetan text of the MPNS has many pre gsar-skad terms, so it
too might have intended "dharmakathika".  From my point of view, it is not
too important which.

> 2. Do you recall instances of either term appearing in the *colophons*
> of Chinese translations, as an epithet applied to the author(s) of the
> original text, its translator(s), or its redactor(s)?
No, there is nothing significant in the colophons -- also, the MPNS, being a
sutra, does not have a named "author".

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge