[Buddha-l] MPNS (Morrison)

Richard Nance richard.nance at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 09:16:50 MST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:02:49 -0000, Stephen Hodge
<s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Correction:
> In my msg of 19/03, I wrote:

> > This concerns the mysterious group of "acaryas", teachers of the MPNS, who
> > do not follow the monastic vinaya (or even live in monasteries) but follow
> > a moral code derived from the sutras.
>
> In this, the word "acarya" should be changed to "dharma-kathika".

Stephen -- great to have you back; the exchange on the MPNS has been
very interesting, and I very much look forward to your book.

Two quick questions on the side-issue above (it intersects in certain
ways with some of the work I've been doing lately):

1. In the Chinese translations you've looked at (both the MPNS and
beyond), is a terminological distinction drawn between the
dharmakathika and the dharmabhaa.naka (as the Tibetan translatiors
distinguished between chos sgrogs pa and chos smra ba)? Is this
distinction observed rigorously, or have you seen some slippage
between the two terms?

2. Do you recall instances of either term appearing in the *colophons*
of Chinese translations, as an epithet applied to the author(s) of the
original text, its translator(s), or its redactor(s)?

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide.

Best wishes,

R. Nance