[Buddha-l] Texas liberals (death penalty)

Timothy C. Cahill tccahill at loyno.edu
Thu Jun 30 14:43:02 MDT 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> The impression I had from my years of reading Amnesty International
> reports, I thought a person had to be both black AND mentally retarded
> to warrant the death penalty in Texas and FLorida. Being a minor was
> also a plus, as I recall.

Alas, here no irony is called for. Two of my colleagues have developed a
computer neural network, and "trained" it to predict the fate of death-row
inmates based upon data unrelated to facts of the criminal case. For the
story see:

http://www.nola.com/search/index.ssf?/base/library-82/111985368095120.xml?nola

(Or go to the site and search "Loyola scholars" for this week.)

The system works with 90% accuracy. Attempts to duplicate it elsewhere are
under way.

> http://web.amnesty.org/pages/deathpenalty-facts-eng

Thanks for this!

best,