[Buddha-l] Re: Texas liberals (death penalty)

StormyTet at aol.com StormyTet at aol.com
Thu Jun 30 09:53:56 MDT 2005

In a message dated 6/30/2005 3:17:16 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
stefan.detrez at gmail.com writes:

When  this participation is corrupted by mental illness leading to murder,
murderous  recidivism, mindless killing (not, for instance, the killing of a
corrupt  tiran), or no prospect of succesful reintegration, than I'd say the
death  penalty is a good option. It is, ironically, more human to kill that person
 than to dope him/her up and stick him/her away in a mental institution for
the  rest of that person's life. This is not about retribution, it's about
making  useful use of the money that would otherwise go to 'keeping life sentenced
 people alive (under strict conditions like: 'no prospect of succesful
reintegration',

Hi Stefan,

There is a man named Bo Lozof who in the 70's started sending books to
prisoners (many on death row) about buddhist practice.  His first (i am  pretty
sure) and most simply written book (full of cartoons) is basic techniques  on how
to meditate. It is written for prisoners in light of their particular
setting and culture. That book is "Were All Doing Time."  The Dali  Lama wrote a
forward for it. The best part of the book, imo, is the letters in  the back of
the book between Bo and the prisoners.  They are disturbing  and strangely
hopeful -- the reality of our human condition, criminal  or not, shines through. Bo
was a devotee of Neem Karoli Baba.

I think the issue of the death penalty needs to be looked at in broader
terms than you suggest.  Bo suggests to prisoners that they use their  'time' and
their cells as an ashram. Your argument is based on finances and
reintegration into society (and perhaps mercy killing). The problem with this is  that
prisoners are a part of our society, largely ignored and largely unheard. I
would suggest listening to them before you flip the switch. I am not advocating  a
bleeding heart liberal position here. There are cold hearted people who don't
 seem to ever 'get it',' but even when they talk I learn something about
being  human.

 Killing the pariahs in our society doesn't work for me. I don't  want them
loose to harm people but they are a reflection, in part, of the  ills in our
society and they are carrying, as one friend put it to me, the pain  of our
cancers in their individual souls in a way that society as a  whole needs to
recognize as a mirror of our collective self.

Best,
Stormy