[Buddha-l] Retreats, and fundraising for retreat centres etc

Sally McAra s.mcara at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 1 16:07:50 MDT 2005

curt wrote:

> Small is beautiful. Power corrupts. Money is the root of all evil.
> But seriously - I know from my own experience that having a
> retreat center on a big chunk of land way out in the middle of
> nowhere can be a great thing. It isn't inevitable that it will get
> messed up -  but it does seem to be quite likely - unfortunately.
> - Curt

The development of Buddhist retreat centres is something I'm fascinated
by, especially as I'm working on a book manuscript about one in NZ, and
my PhD thesis also relates to that indirectly...
I have certainly noticed that here in NZ, as well as in Australia,
Buddhist centres are really struggling, and the fees they charge for
accommodation etc don't do anything more than cover costs. the ones I'm
aware of do not make a profit. However, there are some centres that have
very ambitious projects for which they engage in elaborate fundraising
schemes. I've heard the complaint made of various tibetan buddhist
dharma centres around the world, that one gets bombarded with leaflets
etc requesting money for this or that statue, stupa,  temple etc. It is
amazing to see on the internet, elaborate places like Odiyan in
California. Incredibly elaborate and expensive buildings! But also
beautiful, at least according to some tastes.

This reminds me, a follower of Tibetan Buddhism told me that if one
understands Emptiness one will understand why the lamas want so many
holy objects built. He related a story about the diversion of a large
donation (originally intended to support monks' education and health)
that ended up being used to build stupas at the monastery. The moral of
the story was, according to the guy who told me, that we mere
unenlightened ones don't understand, but the lamas understand Emptiness
and that this really was, wiht this realisation, the most beneficial
thing to do with the money, for all sentient beings (elsewhere I am
familiar with the argument that holy objects make a "beneficial imprint"
on one's mindstream).

Big buildings and monuments rather than supporting the studies of monks
and nuns. Hmmm. With my limited view, I find it hard to understand why
the support of students (potential teachers) of buddhism was less
important than these stupas. But that is the thing that really interests
me, too. I'm sure my own cultural conditionings affect how I see this!
I'm trying to be open to things that I might not understand, rather than
just writing it off. This is something I wrote about in an earlier post
about being "ambivalent" about big temples etc... trying, at least for a
moment or two, to be shed my own biases, and see it in terms of the
people who are carrying out these projects. This may be futile, seeing
as there's not a lot of hope of my realising Emptiness in the course of
my research.
Can anyone familiar with this school of thought explain this concept of
why "emptiness" justifies the construction of stupas, mega prayer wheels
etc (whether or not they agree)?

Cheers
Sally McAra
PhD candidate